Crockpot cornbread casserole:
1 onion, medium, chopped
1 bell pepper, green, medium, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
16 oz. red kidney beans, undrained
16 oz. pinto beans, undrained
16 oz. tomatoes, diced, no-salt added, undrained
8 oz. tomato sauce, no-salt added
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper, black
1/2 tsp. mustard, prepared
1/8 tsp. hot sauce
1 c. cornmeal, yellow
1 c. flour, all purpose
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. egg substitute
3 T. vegetable oil
8 1/2 oz. corn, cream style
1. Lightly grease crock pot.
2. Over medium heat in a skillet, cook onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
3. Transfer to the crock pot.
4. Stir in kidney beans and pinto beans.
5. Add diced tomatoes and juice, tomato sauce, seasonings, mustard and hot sauce.
6. Cover. Cook on High for 1 hour.
7. In a separate large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
8. Stir in milk, egg substitute, vegetable oil and corn.
9. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
10. Cover. Cook on High 1 1/2 – 2 hours more.