Mexican beef stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 lbs. (about 1 kilo) oxtails, cut into 2-3″ lengths 1/2 onion chopped 1 clove garlic,
minced water to cover, about 2-3 quarts/liters
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic,
minced 2 potatoes,
peeled and chopped 1/2 lb. (.25 kilo) green beans, cut into 2″ length
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon chipotle chile with adobo sauce, seeded and finely minced
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and brown oxtails.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender.
3. Add water to cover and simmer for 1 hour or pressure cook for 20 minutes.
4. Remove meat to cool. When cool enough to handle, pull meat from bones, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Pour off stock and skim most of the fat from the surface, reserving meat and stock.
5. In the same pot, heat oil over medium-low heat and cook chopped onion and garlic until translucent.
6. Add potatoes and stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes. Add green beans, tomatoes and chile and cook until all vegetables are tender.
7. Salt to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro.